How Do I Load Test My Tractor Battery?
We want to help you load test your tractor battery.
If you do not feel that you understand these steps, or can perform them safely, consult your tractor dealer or local mechanic. Also always consult your tractor owner’s manual for model-specific information.
To complete this task you will need to purchase a variable rate battery tester.
Time to get started.
It is important to regularly check the condition of your tractor battery when under load.
NOTE: Perform the load charging procedure before performing the load testing on the battery. Also make sure to follow the instructions specified for the battery tester that you decide to use.
1. Park the tractor safely and securely.
2. Shut off the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Remove the battery as directed in your owner’s manual.
5. Rotate the load knob of the tester clockwise until the amperage reading is equal to either of the following two values.
· Cold-cranking amperage rating (use the blue scale).
· Three times the ampere-hour rating (use the black scale).
6. Keep the above state for 15 seconds. Then return the load knob of the tester to the OFF position.
7. Check the battery voltage.
If the battery charge is less than 9.6V, replace the battery.