top of page

What's the Difference Between a Tedder and a Hay Rake?

A hay tedder and a hay rake are two different machines used in haymaking.

The hay tedder is used to spread out the hay crop as wide as the cut width of the hay conditioner or mower. It uses moving forks to aerate or "wuffle" the hay and thus speed drying before baling or rolling. The use of a tedder allows the hay to dry better, which prevents mildew or contamination.

The hay rake is used to collect the dried cuttings into windrows for the baler to pick up and bale. Precise raking action produces fluffy, uniform windrows that dry evenly.

The main difference between the two is that a tedder spreads out the hay crop, while a rake collects it into windrows.

If you need any further help or have any questions about service, tractors, implements, or anything else equipment-related, please contact your dealer, local mechanic, or call us at 602-734-9944. Please ask about our current new and used tractor supply.

If you are looking for old, vintage, classic, or new tractor parts, send us a part request.

Team Tractor Ranch - #1 Tractor Dealer in Arizona. We sell and service most major brands of tractors including Yanmar, Kubota, John Deere, TYM, Mahindra, Kioti, Case, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Ford, Deutz, Case IH, Farmall, International Harvester, Branson Tractors, LS, Shibura, Claas Tractor, McCormick Tractors, Valtra, Solis, YTO, Montana, and Nortrac.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page